Saturday, March 14, 2009

Assignment #2

This week's lesson was on aperture...a good thing, since this is something that has always confused me. An open (large) aperture lets in more light, and usually uses a faster shutter speed, resulting in a blurred background...
1/50
f/3.5
ISO-400
22 mm

A closed (small) aperture is a smaller opening, meaning less light and longer shutter speed, things are more in focus, even in the background...1/6
f/10
ISO-400
24 mm

This is not the best example...see how the background is still a little blurred? But there is a difference between the two.

The confusing this is that a large aperture is a smaller number and a small aperture is a big number. Less is more.

Right now I only have the kit lens for my camera (I just ordered a new lens...I am excited!). It doesn't allow for a very large aperture, so in low light it doesn't do very well. Which is too bad, because I take a lot of pictures inside. I took this picture outside in the middle of the day and I love how it turned out...my baby didn't really want me taking her picture. She wanted me to push her on the swing.

1/1600
f/5.6
ISO-400
50 mm

4 comments:

Amie said...

Very nice! And your explanations of what an aperture is and does are great too.

Not to mention that I find that a bundle of freshly sharpened pencils just makes me want to take in a nice deep breath of fresh air too. :D

Amie said...

btw, the wedding was on Sat. so now I have a mountain sized load of pics to tweak before I can post them anywhere. I'll let you know when that happens though. :)

Alicia W. said...

I really would love to see what you got at the wedding! How fun! I love looking at stuff like that!

Natalie said...

Hey! I just checked this site for the first time in a long time and I am so impressed! Look at my sister the cool photog!

I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils, if I knew your name and address . . .